Business Development Manager.
About Energy 4 Impact
Energy 4 Impact is a UK registered charity seeking to reduce poverty in Africa through
accelerated access to modern energy products and services. To do this we support the
development of a broad range of micro and small businesses and project companies in the
energy economy. We provide them with high-quality financial, technical and business
management support services so that they can grow and deliver access to energy for
communities in off-grid areas. We also manage programmes seeking to develop new energyrelated markets in innovative or challenging fields, such as: crowdfunding, humanitarian
energy, rural schools and health clinics, clean technology for agriculture, women’s economic
empowerment and rural economic development. To date, Energy 4 Impact has provided
support to over 5,511 small and micro businesses across several countries in sub-Saharan
Africa, helping to deliver energy access to over 18 million people in off-grid areas, and creating
over 12,300 jobs. Energy 4 Impact operates from regional offices in Kenya, Senegal,
Tanzania, and Rwanda and is supported by a small UK head office in London. To learn more
about our work please visit: www.energy4impact.org Facebook / Twitter @energy4impact
Purpose of the role
• To develop new funding relationships for Energy 4 Impact in Africa
• To contribute to the development and implementation of Energy 4 Impact’s overall
business development strategy
• To identify and secure new projects, focusing on conceptualizing and developing high
quality bespoke proposals consistent with Energy 4 Impact’s strategy, goals and
• To support project managers in securing extensions and related follow-on work for the
• To facilitate handing over of newly secured projects to programmes/projects
• To support country teams to play an active role in origination of funding opportunities
and the development of project concepts in their countries
The post-holder will be expected to contribute in the identification of new funding opportunities
for Energy 4 Impact, ensure Energy 4 Impact is well-positioned to bid, and play an important
role in the submission of Expressions of Interest and Proposals. The post-holder will contribute
in developing concept notes as defined in the Energy 4 Impact programme portfolio for the
purpose of marketing Energy 4 Impact work to interested funders.
The post-holder will work with other teams across the organisation, such as the
Communication team, Programme Management team, Country Managers, as well as with
Energy 4 Impact’s potential bidding partners and projects implementation partners.
Energy 4 Impact is a small organisation; we are therefore expecting someone to be
comfortable with a very hands-on approach to the job, prepared to “roll up their sleeves and
get stuck into the detail”.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
• To support the execution of BD strategy for the organization in Africa.
• To contribute in the organizational efforts to identify and pursue new prospective
funding from a variety of donor targets, while building and developing relationships
with new and existing donor agencies.
• Support when required on the development and writing of convincing technical funding
proposals with a lucid and compelling style of writing, illustrating technical rigor with
donor friendly language and demonstrating a thorough understanding of objectives
and requirements of the tenders/donors.
• Support and actively participate in the execution of overall BD and proposal
development lifecycle which include: intelligence gathering/research/landscape
analysis/gap and competitive analysis, mapping, relationship building, teaming
agreements, gathering of administrative documentations, proposal writing, budget
development and submission
• Write, proofread and finalize support documents for proposals including budgets,
logframes, GANNT charts etc.
• Provide detailed and strategic analysis of Request for Proposal solicitations,
instructions and other proposal-related information and ensure the proposal fits with
donor guidelines and international standards.
• Keep the organization advised with maximum forewarning of upcoming calls for
proposals from relevant donor funding programmes.
• Keep fully abreast of Trends, news & developments from outside Energy 4 Impact in
the renewable energy/energy poverty field, other initiatives by private companies and
other NGOs so that BD efforts can be better streamlined and have more likelihood of
• Support and lead when required the development of strategic partnerships or consortia
for joint bids.
• Develop and create the necessary tools and infrastructure to support proposal and
business development (proposal plan, proposal develop process, organization history,
qualifications, executive summary sections, cv’s, and other relevant information and
energy access data base)
• Support other staff who currently work on business development in addition to their
other responsibilities (such as country managers) in generating business for the
organization by providing them the required support to originate new funding
relationships and opportunities, and develop project concepts.
• Report to the BD Manager the status of our current live pipeline of proposals/funding
opportunities and a track record of successful and unsuccessful bids and existing and
past donors relationship in order to support reporting status of pipeline to board &
Senior Management Team, at global & country levels
• Represent the organization in appropriate professional and prospective donor
networking opportunities with the objective of generating new funding opportunities.
• Support and coordinate when required the proposal hand-over process from the
proposal development team to the project implementation team
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
• Good knowledge of donors and networks active in Africa / the energy sector.
• Proven experience in programme fundraising / proposal development in an
international development context, for bilateral, multilateral donors and/or foundations,
especially those >£200k, and preferably in the Energy / climate change space
• Proven experience in proposals writing (including log frames) with track record of
developing proposals that attract significant funding from major donors
• Graduate or Postgraduate qualification in relevant subject desirable.
• Effective at liaising with multiple stakeholders, meeting deadlines and budgeting.
• Excellent communication, writing and research skills
• Experience in summarising synthesising outcomes of energy
projects/research/studies in a very user friendly language. Skilled at presenting
complex project information in a clear and engaging way.
• Experience in preparing budgets for donor proposals particularly understanding of
budgeting and financial requirements and reporting processes; and good skills in
• High level of computer literacy (primarily in Microsoft Office packages).
• Excellent planning and time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
• Ability to work calmly under pressure to deliver as part of a team
• A high level of attention to detail and accuracy in working with numbers; strong
analytical ability, able to evaluate and to appraise critically quantitative and qualitative
• Experience in formatting large documents in MS Word.
• Energetic, high initiative, approachable, flexible, creative and with willingness and
ability to accommodate other people’s ideas and work effectively across cultural
• Fluency in spoken and excellent written English is a must. Fluency in in French is
• Ability to travel internationally, sometimes on short notice
• Empathy with Energy 4 Impact’s mission, and values, with a high level of corporate
commitment, demonstrated by an ability to take decisions and to act in the best
interests of Energy 4 Impact