The application deadline date has passed.
Associate Director - Health
To provide overall quality technical leadership and guidance to Health and Nutrition program from the phase of planning, design, monitoring, evaluation and reporting. To contribute to WVK portfolio through high level engagement with donors, resource acquisition and mobilization, and create strong partnership and networking with stakeholders (MoH, Donors, UN agencies and I/NGOs). To promote continuous improvement and innovation in line with World Vision standards and guidelines and ensure alignment of WVK projects with the Government of Kenya/ MOH policies and strategies. To ensure that health and nutrition projects are designed and implemented in line with the World Vision Kenya strategy.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
Technical Leadership, Program Management and Reporting, 25%
- Provide leadership in the development of the Health and Nutrition technical approach and program.
- Ensure alignment of WVK health and nutrition programs to national and global priorities.
- Responsible for setting the national office technical standards
- Approve the technical Area Plans, detailed implementation plans for all projects/grants and approval of reports.
- Develop practical tools for monitoring, quality assurance, quality improvement and evaluations
- Provide leadership to advocacy implementation within Health and Nutrition sector
- Contribute to overall National Office (NO) strategy; ensure health priorities reflected in national strategy.
- Work closely with the strategy and program effectiveness team for quality child well-being, annual and technical reports.
- Remain up to date with public health and nutrition research, policy, guidance and initiatives and ensure dissemination to sub-national staff
Resource Acquisition 20%
- Develop and execute in collaboration with Resource Acquisition and Management (RAM) team, an annual growth plan and strategy to increase funding portfolio for Health technical program.
- Actively support the roll out of WVKs Resource Mobilization and Grants Acquisition plan.
- Provide technical leadership in engagements and funding negotiations with support offices, donors and partners (possible consortiums
- Provide advice on donor management (government/private donors and support offices) ensuring informed decisions and resolutions.
- Provide support to RAM including responding to appropriate request for applications for bilateral and multilateral sources in coordination with relevant SOs and management of grant funded program.
- Provide technical leadership in proposal development processes for Pre-proposal, Proposal development, Post-submission.
- Research new proposals in close coordination with RAM in order to ensure high quality proposals that meet the requirements of the donors.
- Ensure program contribution in the Go / No-go decision making process and ensure that all risks are addressed consistently.
- Research and draft resources in preparation for grant bidding activities, such as capability statements, project summaries and partner profiles
- Provide support in funding negotiations with Support Offices in coordination with resource acquisition and management (RAM) and in alignment with Regional Grants Acquisition and Management Strategy & the Regional Working Group Decisions.
Accountability, learning, Evidence Base Development, Dissemination and Knowledge Management, 20%
- Ensure quality programming, innovative designs, monitoring, evaluation, reflection, learning and reporting of all projects in the Health technical program that leads to sustainable health for children and their communities.
- Ensure that findings and recommendations from various accountability mechanisms, such as Peer Review, Audits, program evaluations, Program Capability Review, are acted upon in a timely and effective manner.
- In close collaboration with people and culture (P&C) ensure that qualified program staff are recruited, retained and provided intentional opportunities (when possible), mentoring and coaching for development.
- Identify and implement opportunities for research to enhance learning and build of evidence base/generate evidence, ideally with academic partners.
- Spearhead research, documentation and reflection exercises for learning.
- Collect, document and disseminate field best practices, case studies and success stories.
- Develop conference abstracts and/or publications based on learning and best practice.
Networking, Partnering, External Participation and Advocacy, 20%
- Maintain effective communications and pro-active relationships with Support Office partners, including visits by donors.
- In coordination with Integrated Programs Director and Support Offices, develop and maintain pro-active relationships with private, bilateral and multilateral representatives in country.
- In coordination with the Integrated Programs Director, develop and maintain good relationships with national government ministries, other NGOs and the development sector in general.
- In coordination with the Senior Management team, work closely with Technical service units in relation to implementation of Partnership initiatives, capacity building of national office staff and knowledge sharing within the region and partnership.
- In coordination with the Integrated Programs Director and program staff, participate in national level coalitions on specific advocacy issues.
- In the spirit of twin citizenship, contribute to knowledge sharing and collaborative learning through internal avenues, such as the Health and Nutrition community of practice.
- Contribute to MoH national strategy, guidelines and national plans.
- Compile updated fact sheets on health programming to support engagement and networking.
- Provide technical input into policy briefings/ensure quality of advocacy product content.
Capacity Building, 10%
- Assess and plan for National Office Health and Nutrition staff capacities/competencies.
- Engage appropriate Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) for identified training gaps
- Facilitate capacity building of staff on health technical modules, public health topics, through trainings, workshops, On Job Training (OJT)technical backstopping etc.
- Staff supervision and guidance to ensure overall quality and comprehensive management of health technical program
Any other Duty assigned by supervisor or designee 5%
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Medicine, Bachelor in Nursing or related health sciences a MUST. Master’s in Public, Epidemiology or Sexually & Reproductive Health / Maternal and Child Health, Nutrition or any other related health/nutrition specialties. PhD in Public Health or Management will be an added advantage.
- At least 10 years’ experience in the implementation of health including nutrition programme in development or humanitarian contexts.
- Experience in maternal and child health, including sexual & reproductive health programming.
- Understanding of donors landscaping (DFID, USAID, EU, UN, OFDA, UNICEF, CIDA, SIDA, and others).
- Proven experience in proposal writing, resource acquisition & mobilization and grant management.
- Excellent project management skills and good understanding of the project life cycle- PMD Pro.
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation of projects. Experience with development project management tools such as logical frames, monitoring and evaluation tools and budgets.
- Must have some experience on policies and regulations in the field of Health and Nutrition.
- The position holder must be results oriented and team a player.
- Track record demonstrating high integrity, reliable and dependable
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills
- Networking and influencing skills
- Working experience engaging with Ministry of Health at National and County levels.
- Strong experience is participation in Sector working groups
- Ability to engage at a strategic level with senior government, UN and INGO official
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview, and ability to work with a wide range of people from different backgrounds.
- Knowledge of and adherence to the Red Cross and NGO Code of Conduct.
The application deadline date has passed.