The application deadline date has passed.
Disaster Law Senior Advocacy Officer
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC or “the Federation”) is the World’s largest volunteer-based humanitarian network. The Federation is a membership organization established by and comprised of its member National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies. Along with National Societies and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the Federation is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. The overall aim of the IFRC is “to inspire, encourage, facilitate, and promote at all times all forms of humanitarian activities by National Societies with a view to preventing and alleviating human suffering and thereby contributing to the maintenance and promotion of human dignity and peace in the world.” It works to meet the needs and improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters and crises and health emergencies. The Federation is served by a Secretariat based in Geneva, with regional and country offices throughout the world. The Secretariat is led by the IFRC Secretary General and provides the central capacity of the International Federation to serve, connect, and represent National Societies. The Secretariat’s focus includes providing support to the IFRC governance mechanisms; setting norms and standards; providing guidance; ensuring consistency; coordination and accountability for performance; knowledge sharing; promoting collaboration within and respect for the RCRC Movement; and expanding engagement with partners. The Secretariat’s headquarters is organized in three main business groups: (i) Partnerships, including Movement and Membership; (ii) Programs and Operations; and (iii) Management. The Secretariat has five regional offices, as follows: Americas (Panama City); Africa (Nairobi); Asia and Pacific- AP (Kuala Lumpur); Europe (Budapest); Middle East and North Africa-MENA (Beirut). The Senior Advocacy and Communication Officer will work as part of the Disaster Law Programme (‘DLP) in the Programs and Operations business group. Based in the Africa Regional Office in Nairobi, the Senior Officer will provide support to the entire Disaster Law team (regional offices and Secretariat in Geneva).
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
The role will focus on:
- Developing and implementing a communication and advocacy strategy and plan of actions for the DLP at headquarters and Regional DLP delegations.
- Promoting IFRC’s work on disaster law: source successful innovations and activities happening in the RCRC and convert these to compelling communications products (such as digital cross-media storytelling, case studies, showpieces and audio-visual/immersive experiences) that are impacting the disaster-related sector including governments, parliamentarians, regional organizations, donors, the academia and the communities we work with;
- Through innovative and engaging ways, ensure that the disaster-related sector is aware of key guidance tools, innovations, events and initiatives happening in the DLP network;
- Build the digital engagement channels and platform of the DLP to ensure access to a wider internal and external audience;
- Promote and develop strategies to encourage user-designed content and products as well as digital collaboration spaces and participatory platforms eg. digital engagement in meetings and events;
- Develop and promote the DLP throughout the RCRC network.
- Enhance the DLP work through social media and other relevant channels.
- Develop a digital image library for the use of the programme (including images and infographics).
- Develop a DLP digital newsletter.
The role will cover a broad range of communication and advocacy areas of the DLP such as:
- Strategic communication and planning
- Advocacy and diplomacy
- National Society communication
- Branding, corporate communication and marketing
- Media relations, web communication and social media
- Design, editorial process and production
- Messaging and advocacy approach to key global and regional events and conferences with regard to disaster law and legislative advocacy goals
- Identifying innovative opportunities and new communications tools and platforms which can serve to highlight the work of DLP
- Drafting publications, brochures, fact sheets, stories from the field to inform media and general public on the work of DLP in the region, and globally
Supporting formatting and editing of DLP documents.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- University degree in communication and/or multimedia
- A least 8 years of experience as communication and advocacy senior officer
- Experience in developing communication/advocacy products in the disaster-related sector
- RC/RC experience
- Field experience
- Ability to convert complex information into simple and compelling storytelling and cross-media communications products
- Experience with digital communication and social media, web design and managing web content including drafting and editing the related materials
- Expertise in marketing, business and strategic communication
- Highly developed graphic design concept creation and visual communications design skills. Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud software (or similar)
- Knowledge of development affairs
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Comfortable with collaborating and influencing distributed people and teams in a matrix environment
- Highly creative, entrepreneurial and innovative
- Flexible and adaptive
- Experience with immersive communications methods such as 360 images and video, virtual reality and augmented reality
- Experience in on-line outreach and multimedia an asset
- Fluently spoken and written English.
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
The application deadline date has passed.